Time between trains? 7.5 minutes.
Why are the costs for light rail more expensive than bus rapid transit?
With light rail, we have to build the tracks and the cement bed. We don’t want any utilities underneath it so they will have to be moved (I know from other projects this can be expensive!), electrification substations and finally an underground tunnel will be built at Victoria and King in Kitchener to go under the regular train tracks. Should there be a multi-model station there in the future (that means Via-rail, intercity buses, LRT and buses, car park) this would be an underground stop.
Light Rail Vehicles cost 4.5 million but last 15 to 25 years
Buses are half that price but only last 10 to 12 years.
While the operating costs of rail is high in the beginning in the long run it is cheaper because there is one driver to many cars while buses have one driver per bus. Also fuel costs for diesel will rise again and light rail is electric. The electric can be changed to sustainable sources as is done in Calgary.
- RT @BrendaHalloran1: This is so frustrating to hear. Come on Ontarians. This upcoming election is so important. Your vote is so important… 2 hours ago
- Becsuse those of us who are fat haven't noticed we've gained weight. How ridiculous. Better to offer free and low c… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Regional staff have already come back to council saying they don't agree a scramble is safe and the way to go. Just… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- RT @ShirleyLevene: I appreciate all the wonderful people who came out to the Leejay Calendar launch tonight! @Chief_BLarkin @CFifeKW @yourk… 19 hours ago
- RT @BardishKW: Shell-ebrating our turtle friends & promoting their conservation today on #WorldTurtleDay! The Midland Painted Turtle, commo… 1 day ago
- 21,550 hits